Windows 11 24H2 Black Screen issue when you alt-tab out of fullscreen games

 Windows 11 24H2 Black Screen issue



So just recently I upgraded my main PC to windows 11 24H2, Everything is working fine at the upgrade went smoothly, But there is this really annoying issue that I discovered In 24H2, I'm experiencing a black screen when alt-tab out of fullscreen games. I tried looking for solutions online but couldn't find any solutions, But I found this Reddit post related to the same issue in 24H2.

"So as in title I have a problem, the game resolution and refresh rate is same as in Windows desktop. This problem is occuring only when the game is fullscreen (the real fullscreen, not maximized windowed or windowed borderless) when I press Alt+Tab to get out of the game window, or anything in the system that causes to defocus the game window (another window opens etc.) it'll go black screen for a few seconds like I was changing the resolution or refresh rate. I didn't have this problem in 23H2 and happening in both installations of 24H2 for me. If there's no fix for that it's okay, I just want to know if this is a known problem so that I know it'll get fixed at some point."

Click here to see the post and the comments on Reddit


So it looks like I'm not the only one who's having this issue in Windows 11 24H2, And again as I said I couldn't find find any solution to this so Maybe it's some kind of a bug in 24H2 Or maybe it's something related to GPU driver. Because someone commented this on that post "May not be a general 24H2 problem, because on my laptop it has only intel GPU and that didn't happen in a game that I tried. On my desktop, with Nvidia GPU it still happens, so I'm not quite sure if 24H2 or nvidia driver compatibility with 24H2 is the problem here".

So whatever the case is this is a really annoying issue in 24H2 especially if you play games. For now there is only one solution to this that you need to play games in full screen windowed mode, Yeah doesn't show up if you play games in full screen windowed mode.

I've also done a video in this topic so watch the video down below for more information.


Hopefully Microsoft will fix this issue by the stable release of Windows 11 24H2.

Check out my other posts, I post useful tutorials and tech tips, maybe you will find something useful 😉.