Why I’m Switching to Linux for Video Editing (A Real-World Test)

If you follow my content, you know I’ve been running an ongoing series called "My Linux Journey." The idea is simple: install a Linux distribution, use it as my daily driver for real work, test my go-to apps, and see if it can genuinely replace Windows.

Lately, I’ve been daily driving Fedora Linux. I went into this experiment expecting a few headaches, but after editing a full video project on it, I was genuinely surprised.

Here is what happened when I put Linux and Windows head-to-head on the exact same hardware for video production.

Video editing on Linux

The Benchmark: DaVinci Resolve Studio

Video editing is the core of my workflow. I regularly record long 2-to-3-hour raw files and chop them down into 15-minute videos. My primary editor is DaVinci Resolve Studio.

Here is how my older hardware setup looks:

  • CPU: Intel Core i7 (9th Gen)

  • RAM: 32GB DDR4

  • Storage: SATA SSD (for the OS) + standard HDD (where raw footage is stored)

Because I store my raw videos on an HDD rather than a fast NVMe drive, system efficiency matters immensely.

Windows 11 Experience

  • Playback Lag: Every time I hit the spacebar to play a video snippet, there is a noticeable 2-to-5 second delay before playback starts.

  • Stutter & Freezes: Previewing 4K or even 1080p timelines regularly stutters, pauses, or temporarily freezes the UI.

  • Editing Friction: When cutting silence out of a 2-hour recording, waiting for playback to resume hundreds of times adds hours of friction to the editing process.

Fedora Linux Experience

  • Instant Playback: Pressing the spacebar starts playback immediately with zero delay.

  • Smooth Scrubbing: Scrubbing through a 4K preview directly from the mechanical hard drive was fluid and smooth.

  • No Stuttering: Cutting clips, listening back, and moving to the next edit felt completely seamless.

Memory & System Resources: Linux Wins Big

The difference in performance comes down to how each operating system handles hardware resources.

Metric

Windows 11

Fedora Linux

Idle RAM Usage

~8 GB

~3 GB

RAM Usage with DaVinci Resolve

~10.5 GB

~5 GB

On Windows, the system and DaVinci ate up nearly double the memory compared to Linux. That extra 5 GB of saved RAM on Linux means I can multitask, keep browser tabs open, or run background utilities without choking my system.

Using AI as a Practical Tool on Linux

A common fear about switching to Linux is the terminal commands and troubleshooting. However, combining Linux with AI tools (like OpenCode or Gemini) completely changes the learning curve.

Instead of spending hours searching forums, I use AI as an assistant to:

  1. Fix Setup Issues: Installing software like DaVinci Resolve or configuring system tools on Linux can sometimes require specific commands. AI provides exact terminal scripts in seconds.

  2. Customize the Desktop: Setting up tools like FastFetch to run automatically when opening the terminal was done instantly with a simple AI prompt.

  3. Build Lightweight Apps: AI helped me build custom GUIs—like a system monitor for the taskbar and a graphical interface for SCRCPY (Android screen mirroring)—making my workflow much easier.

Bonus: Running Android Apps & Games with Waydroid

One unexpected highlight of Fedora was running Waydroid (an Android container for Linux).

Microsoft recently discontinued the Windows Subsystem for Android (WSA), but on Linux, Waydroid runs Android apps natively with full 3D graphics acceleration (by leveraging the integrated iGPU). I was able to play heavy 3D Android games smoothly using a keyboard and mouse right on my desktop.

The Verdict: Am I Ditching Windows Completely?

Not completely, but Linux is becoming my primary operating system.

  • Why I’m keeping Windows: Anti-cheat games like Valorant or Fortnite (which I play with my kids) still require Windows. I’ll also continue making Windows tutorial videos whenever needed.

  • Why Linux is my daily driver: For creative work, video editing in DaVinci Resolve, image editing in Krita, and overall system responsiveness, Linux easily outperforms Windows on my hardware.

If you have an older system or feel like Windows is getting too bloated, giving Linux a shot—especially with a user-friendly distributions like Fedora, Linux Mint, Ubuntu etc.—might just breathe new life into your PC!

I’ve also made a video on this topic — you can watch it below.

https://youtu.be/Epo4q9KD27s

Check out my other posts, I post useful tutorials and tech tips, maybe you will find something useful 😉.

YouTube GitHub Twitter